Non-EU citizens - renewal of the residence permit

If you are a non-EU citizen you can renew your residence permit from 30 days before its expiration date. It is strongly recommended to apply for the renewal before the deadline.

In order to collect the kit for the application submission and for support in filling out the application form, you can go to box n. 12 at the Department of International Affairs, where cultural mediators will assist you.

The service is upon appointment and it is free of charge.  You can also receive assistance at any Patronato office.

After filling out the application form with the help of the mediators, the application always has to be handed in at any post office where there is a “Sportello Amico” counter, within maximum 2/3 days.

The postal expenses amount to € 30,00. You will have to pay again the paying slip of € 70,46 for the issuing of the residence permit electronic card (the paying in slip is given by the cultural mediators at box n.11-12);

The Poste Italiane employer will check your passport (remember not to seal the envelope of the kit!) and will gives you a new receipt, with a new USER ID and PASSWORD that you always have to bring with you, until you receive your electronic residence permit.

You will be given again an appointment for going to the Immigration Office for being fingerprinted.


Please consider that after the fingerprints appointment it takes some months to collect the residence permit card at the Immigration Office.

1) 2 double-sided copies of the expiring/expired residence permit;

2) 2 copies of the page of your passport containing your personal data, 1 copy of the page of your visa for Italy and the copies of the passport pages containing stamps/other visas;

3) an "autocertificazione” (self declaration) attesting the enrolment in Politecnico di Torino, stating that you have passed at least one exam for the first residence permit renewal (and at least 2 exams for the following renewals). You can print it from your personal page on “Portale della Didattica”

4) a € 16 duty stamp – you have to buy it at the Tobacconist’s (Tabacchi shop);

5) photocopy of a document proving that you dispose of sufficient income to earn your living during your stay in Italy. If you have a scholarship, you have to submit a copy of the letter issued by the scholarship awarding institution indicating the details of your grant. Otherwise you can submit a self-declaration available here (the sample is available here);

Otherwise you can submit a self-declaration (the fac-simile is available here);

6) the photocopy of the Health insurance receipt (it must cover you for the whole period of the residence permit renewal).

N.B. (the photocopy must be in A4 format)

Holders of the postal receipt  for the residence permit renewal can leave and enter Italy, only provided that:

· they have the passport, the postal receipt of the residence permit renewal and the original of the expiring/expired residence permit;

· the travel does not include transit through Schengen Countries.

Also in this case, for travelling in the Schengen Area and in other countries, you are strongly recommended to verify with the embassy/consulate of the country you are planning to go to, if you need a visa for entering, according to your citizenship and your current domicile.

Before starting a journey and buying a ticket, it is in any case advisable to ask to the Immigration Desk.