For several years now, Politecnico di Torino has been pursuing a path of integration of sustainability principles in its activities: teaching, research, third mission and campus management. The path undertaken is aimed at developing the principles of sustainability in a shared and systematic strategy, in acknowledgement of the Sustainable Development Goals adopted together with the 2030 Agenda by the United Nations in 2015
The principles of sustainability, of the University’s impact on the environment and natural resources, and actions to promote sustainable development of the territory, had already been introduced in the Statute of Politecnico di Torino in 2012. In 2018, a specific line of the PoliTO4Impac University Strategic Plan was dedicated to the development of a sustainable campus and the role of the University in the exchange of knowledge and technologies for sustainable development.
Since 2019, the Politecnico has the presidency of the Italian Network of Universities for Sustainable Development and coordinates its activities. Since 2023, it also leds the RUS Working Group dedicated to mobility issues.
Through the Sustainable Campus section of this site, it is possible to get an overview of all the University’s actions concerning sustainability issues.
The PoliTO4Impact Strategic Plan focuses on people and the community with the aim of developing a new sense of community based on a shared, participatory and sustainable vision of the University. The Strategic Plan recognises the social role of the University and the need to:
- Direct every action towards improving living conditions, reducing inequalities, building social responsibility towards future generations with reference to sustainable development
- Create and share polytechnic knowledge to support sustainable development at the local, national, and international levels
- Assess potential economic, social, political and environmental impacts
The inclusion of sustainability principles within the University’s Strategic Plan helps to define some concrete sustainability goals in the various areas of the University’s competence:
TEACHING AND RESEARCH
- Innovating the teaching offered to increase the critical sense, social responsibility, problem-solving and problem-solving skills, innovativeness and soft skills of our students
- Include knowledge of the global sustainable development goals of the 2030 Agenda in our curricula
- Recognise the importance of human and social sciences and interdisciplinarity as an educational value
- Direct interdisciplinary research to address the UN 2030 Agenda sustainable development goals
- Enhance responsiveness to the Sustainable Development Goals contained in the UN 2030 Agenda
Politecnico also intends to integrate and implement sustainability issues in the management of Campus activities (energy, food, waste, water, mobility, green procurement, etc.) and in actions towards its Community.
The activities of the Sustainable Campus are coordinated by the Green Team, a hub aimed at gathering experience, expertise and information related to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the UN 2030 Agenda within the university context.
The Green Team coordinates all activities related to the promotion of Sustainable Development at the University to ensure that they are integrated into education, research, and campus management activities. To operate in its various activities, the Green Team exchanges views and collaborates with the Administration Departments and the Departments of Politecnico, as well as with the governing organisations and external stakeholders, including local government organisations, companies and private organisations, and the local community.
More information on the organisation and composition of the Green Team can be found in the About Us section.