Electronics is the basis of modern society and of the majority of common products and services, from smartphones to electromedical instruments.
You will become an Electronic Engineer, a professional who can work in the field of research, design and development at the frontiers of technology. Electronic engineers not only need to use advanced components and methodologies, but also develop new ones, creating innovative applications or with an excellent cost-performance ratio.
This requires the ability to manage complex projects with performance at the limit of technological feasibility, to develop new components and tailor-made subsystems in the form of integrated circuits or System-On-Chip and to use innovative procedures and methods.
The lectronic engineer is one of the most requested figures, given his/her broad set of skills. 90% of our students find a job less than one year after the graduation, while 97,6% of our students find a job within 3 years of the graduation.
Admissions:Uncapped number of students, evaluation of the admission requirements
Degree code:LM-29: ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING
Why Electronic Engineering?
What & How you will learn
The programme is organized as follows:
In Year 1 you will learn the fundamentals of Electronics, Electromagnetism and Measurements through courses organized in four pairs:
- DIGITAL ELECTRONICS/ INTEGRATED DIGITAL SYSTEMS: techniques to design complex digital architectures both at the level of boards and systems and at the level of integrated microsystems;
- MEASUREMENT SYSTEMS AND SENSORS/TESTING AND CERTIFICATION: advanced techniques and measurement systems in both analog and digital domains;
- HIGH SPEED ELECTRON DEVICES/ OPTOELECTRONICS: techniques for analysis and design of high frequency and optoelectronic devices;
- ANALOGUE AND POWER ELECTRONICS/ ANALOG AND TELECOMMUNICATION ELECTRONICS: design techniques of complex analog circuits with discrete and integrated components as well as digital integrated circuits.
On top of these courses, you will choose an optional course in the field of mathematics, signal processing or hardware/software integration.
These core subjects will help you choose a specialist track for further study.
At the end of the programme you will work on a thesis project.
The Master’s degree programme is taught both in Italian and English.
You will take part in face-to-face lectures, classroom practicals, computer and/or hardware laboratories, experimental work. You will develop small projects and apply theoretical concepts to real cases. You will also participate in three interdisciplinary workshops that will boost the soft skills that are most sought after by employers.
You will able to decide if you wish to work on your thesis project at a foreign university or company.
To boost your training, the Master's degree programme in Electronic Engineering is divided into innovative specialist tracks. The guidelines give an overview from the point of view of the design level: in fact they cover the four design levels of an Electronic system in a different way, starting from the Technological aspect and moving towards Devices, Circuits and Architectures, up to at the System and Application level.
What you can do next
As an Electronic Engineer you will be able choose from a variety of career fields:
- DATA ANALYST: you will analyse market requirements and objectives set by customers or firms (not necessarily electronic companies); you will identify new applications for electronic systems and devices and analyse components or systems, including highly complex ones, defining their specifications to achieve the objectives specified by the customer;
- SYSTEMS DESIGNER: you will design components or analog/digital electronic systems, and, if necessary, you will develop new components with features not found on the market (new devices and integrated circuits), and complete integrated systems (System-On-Chip). This includes even very complex systems with innovative features and performance that require the integration of various specialized aspects of ICTs;
- DIRECTOR OF LABORATORIES AND HIGH-TECH ELECTRONIC FACILITIES: you will set up and manage industrial research and development projects.
- RESEARCHER: you will work in companies and research institutions to develop new electronic devices and applications as well as advanced system applications of all types which use electronic devices;
- FREE-LANCE PROFESSIONAL: you will work as an electronic engineering consultant in businesses, government agencies, as well as in organisations of other sectors.
Esperienze all'estero e Team Studenteschi
You will have the opportunity to enter both the Double Master’s Degree Programmes with the United States (Chicago, TOP-UIC Special Project), France (Paris/Nice, Eurecom-Paristech), and with the University of Cordoba in Argentina; both in the Mobility Programmes with numerous International Universities.
- EPFL - SWISS FEDERAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY LAUSANNE
- TOP-UIC CHICAGO
- KUNGLIGA TEKNISKA HOGSKOLAN (ROYAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY) - STOCKHOLM
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAT DARMSTADT
- EURECOM SOPHIA ANTIPOLIS
- INP GRENOBLE - ENSIMAG (CSE)
- TELECOM paristech - PARIS
- INSTITUT NATIONAL DES SCIENCES APPLIQUES DE LYON (INSA)
- UNIVERSIDAD POLITECNICA DE CATALUNYA - ETSETB BARCELONA
- UNIVERSIDAD POLITECNICA DE MADRID - ETSIT
- UNIVERSIDAD POLITECNICA DE VALENCIA - ETSIT
- ECOLE SUPERIEURE D'ELECTRICITE, SUPELEC, PARIS
- GRENOBLE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY - PHELMA
In addition, During the Second year you can follow an internship in Company to carry out your thesis. You will also be given the opportunity to carry out your thesis abroad, in the following Universities:
- Technische Universität München (GERMANY)
- Fraunhofer AISEC (GERMANY)
- Texas Instruments (GERMANY)
- EPFL University - Lausanne (SWITZERLAND)
- Thales Nederland (NETHERLANDS)
- Imperial University of London - (GREAT BRITAIN)
- LONDON NANOTECHNOLOGY CENTRE (GREAT BRITAIN)
- University College/Tyndall - Cork (IRELAND)
- BUSKERUD AND VESTFOLD UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (NORWAY)
- Polytechnic University of Madrid - (SPAIN)
- UPC - ETSETB - Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya (SPAIN)
- VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland (FINLAND)
- KTH - Kungl. Tekniska Högskolan (Royal Institute of Technology) (SWEDEN)
- University of Illinois in Chicago (USA)
- University of California, Berkeley (USA)
- Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology (USA)
- Khademhosseini Laboratory (USA)
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital (USA)
- Columbia University (USA)
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Caltech (USA)
You will be able to become part of special Teams for the design and implementation of a project, to increase your cultural, technical and managerial skills, but which will also be an exceptional tool for student and social aggregation.
You can book an appointment from your personal page of the Teaching Portal, 'My academic progress - la mia didattica' tab, 'My bookings - Le mie prenotazioni' portlet.
Service available for all inquiries on the dedicated page.