What will you learn?
The curriculum is designed to provide core competencies in:
- Mathematical modelling, aimed at finding the most suitable mathematical model to describe applicative problems and analyse their solutions from both a qualitative and a quantitative point of view;
- Numerical simulation, for the application of the latest scientific computation methods to intractable problems;
- Probability and statistics, applied to solving non-deterministic problems, i.e. managing and interpreting experimental data with a strong component of uncertainty and variability;
- Engineering, for the acquisition of broad engineering skills to be appliedto various fields and problems (engineering, industrial and information).
After taking the core courses, you will be able to choose between two specialist tracks: Mathematical modelling and numerical simulationb and Statistical and optimization methods.
At the end of the programme, you will take a final examinationbased on the preparation of an original thesis project, possibly carried out in a Polito department or laboratory or atan external company.
How will you learn it?
The Master’s degree programme is taught both in Italian and in English.
You will take part in face-to-face lectures, practical classes in the classroom or in the computer lab with the use of software. You will also work on specific projects - individually or in small groups – and on business case studies.
What you can do next
After graduation you will have the following opportunities:
- continue your studies with a Ph.D. programme in applied mathematics or in other areas of engineering, in Italy or abroad;
- become a mathematical engineer and choose from a variety of career fields:
- Mathematical engineering with a specialization in mathematical modelling and numerical simulation - you will be part of research and development teams that develop in-depth projects, models and simulations using advanced mathematical processes.
- Mathematical engineering with specialization in probability and statistics - you will be able to handle company databases and you will take independent initiatives in the planning of experiments or research, providing original solutions to obtain the necessary data.
- Technical or strategic consulting for industrial companies- you will be able to support decision-making processes to improve production and management, as per commissioned requests made to consulting firms from time to time. You will put into practice the versatile and multidisciplinary skills gained during your academic studies to develop predictive simulation models of possible future scenarios.
- Scientific planning- you will be responsible for the production and planning of high-tech codes, exploiting the potential of parallel computing.
- Data science in mathematics and statistics - you will support companies or research centres for decision-making and design processes, using data to extract useful information for management, production, planning and development processes, also applying the latest techniquesof machine learning and artificial intelligence.