Politecnico di Torino supports the Technology Transfer System via its internal services, where qualified personnel skilled in technical, scientific, economic, management and legal subjects work in synergy with teaching staff, university researchers and students to provide the professional support needed at every step of the technology transfer process. An interdepartmental laboratory for technology transfer (LabTT), which combines scientific and administrative components, is also established to provide transversal support to all university departments in managing research and innovation collaborations.
Among the various technology transfer activities able to combine scientific research, high-quality training, and knowledge sharing, the most significant are:
- Managing and promoting intellectual property and the university’s patent portfolio;
- Creating, supporting, and monitoring Politecnico di Torino spin-off companies;
- Promoting the network with the industrial world to strengthen collaboration with SMEs and the main actors in the region, as well as with large industrial groups;
- Promoting the University's technologies and know-how within a national and international network;
- Legal assistance for the University’s internal structures regarding industrial and intellectual property rights and in negotiating and drafting related contractual documentation;
- The enhancement of entrepreneurial culture and the importance of the University’s Third Mission, with the aim of qualifying Turin as one of the European reference points in terms of research valorization and generation of qualified employment opportunities for the University’s younger generations.
Research, relationships with companies, and innovation area
The University's Research, Relationships with Companies, and Innovation area (RIMIN) is responsible for technology transfer activities. In accordance with the University's Strategic Plan, the University integrates research with innovation and education, shares knowledge and its impact on society and the economy. The Offices of the RIMIN Area, in addition to facilitating collaborations with businesses, stimulate and direct demand from local businesses. This enhances the results of University research.